Two days before my next trip to Orlando, is time to clear the fridge.
I found these vegetables in the refrigerator: one medium head cauliflower, one tomato, a few brown mushrooms, half a red onion, 5 inches length cucumber and an avocado.
To cook these vegetable, the easiest way is to roast them all together. And have some left over for lunch tomorrow.
First I toss the cauliflower floret with lots of olive oil, more than enough to allow for adding the rest of the vegetable later. Seasoned with sea salt, ground pepper, coriander powder, cumin seeds, turmeric, and drizzles of balsamic vinegar. This is a dish that there is no fix rule of exactly how much spices to use. As long as it is all well coated it is good. And you can add more salt or vinegar later to taste.
Roast the seasoned cauliflower first for about 10 minutes in 375F (190C) pre-heated oven. Because it takes a bit longer to soften. And than mix in the rest of the vegetable except the tomato because I don’t want it to turn mushy. Roast the second round for 15 mins and than add the tomato. Continue to roast the mixed vegetable for another 5 minutes.
Taste the cauliflower and if is the level of crunchiness you like, it is done. You many adjust the seasoning at this point by adding more salt and/or vinegar. And is ready to serve with your protein for the meal.
I didn’t roast the avocado. Instead I throw them in the white wine butter cream sauce I made for the wild caught Alaskan sockeye salmon that I served with this roasted mix vegetable.
Here is the recipe, but bare in mind that the portion of spices are base on estimation.
- 1 head medium size cauliflower, cut into floret
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 8 brown mushroom, quartered
- Half a medium size red onion, cut into bite size
- 5 inches length cucumber, cut into bite size
- 1 medium size tomato, cut into thick wedges
- Pre-heat oven to 375F (190C). Toss cauliflower florets with olive oil and all the spices. Place it on a baking dish and roast for 10 minutes.
- Mix together the rest of vegetable except tomato. Roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Mix in tomato and roast for another 5 minutes. Taste the cauliflower and if its the level of crunchiness you like, remove from the oven.
- Season the mixed vegetable with salt and/or balsamic vinegar according to taste. Ready to serve.