I like exploring a little different way of baking a chicken and adding spiciness to it. This is what I had tested and improved. It is now our favourite spicy paprika baked chicken at home!
The level of spiciness in this recipe is very light; enough to have the spicy aroma but not enough to burn your palate, and not overwhelming the natural taste of the chicken.
Watch how I prepare the chicken on Youtube.
Here is the recipe.
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 tablespoons lard
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1 cup yellow onions, chopped
- ¼ cup chicken stock (or water)
- Wash and pat dry chicken. In a small bowl, mix paprika, cumin, onion powder, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle and pat the spice mixture on the chicken and around the wall of the chicken cavity. Twine chicken legs together.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Lay chopped onion onto a baking dish, pour chicken stock or water onto onion, and sit the spiced chicken onto the bed of onion.
- Bake the chicken uncovered, for total of 50-60 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken and your oven. Check chicken after 40 minutes of baking, drizzle some juice from the bottom of the baking dish onto the chicken and continue to bake until is cooked.
- Test the chicken temperature by inserting a thermometer into the thickest part of the breast between the thigh area and not touching the bones. When the temperature reaches160F (70C), chicken should be cooked.
- Remove chicken from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Pour the chicken juice from the baking dish into a serving cup. Drizzle chicken juice onto sliced meat when serving.
Each serving contains 3.5g total carb, 3g net carbs, 41g protein and 33g fat.
Share this with your friends!