I like exploring a little different way of baking a chicken and adding spiciness to it. This is what I had tested and improved. It is now our favourite spicy paprika baked chicken at home!
The level of spiciness in this recipe is very light; enough to have the spicy aroma but not enough to burn your palate, and not overwhelming the natural taste of the chicken.
- 1 whole chicken
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder (or 2 tablespoons for more spiciness)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black ground pepper
- 1 cup yellow onions, chopped
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- Wash and pat dry chicken. In a small bowl, mix olive oil, paprika, red chili powder, cumin, onion powder, cayenne, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Rub spice mixture around the wall of the chicken cavity, under the skin and all around the top of the skin. Twine chicken legs together and refrigerate for 1 hour before baking.
- Pre-heat oven to 350F (180C). Lay chopped onion onto baking tray, pour ½ cup of chicken stock onto onion, and sit spiced chicken onto bed of onion. And bake uncovered for 50-60 minutes. Test the chicken temperature by inserting a thermometer into side of the breast between the thigh area and not touching the bones. When the temperature reaches150F (66C), chicken should be cooked.
- Check chicken after 30 minutes of baking and if baking dish base is dry, pour remainder ¼ cup of chicken stock onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- Remove chicken from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Pour the chicken juice from the baking dish into a serving cup. Drizzle chicken juice onto sliced meat when serving.
Each serving contains 4g net carbs, 49g protein and 52g fat.
Share this with your friends!