This French clafoutis is originated in Lumousin, France. A clafoutis is a traditional French custard cake. There are many variations of clafoutis made with different type of cherry or fruit, or served with fruit brandy in France.
In this recipe, I’ve made it with low carb ingredients by replacing the regular flour with almond flour, and a healthier sweetener Xylitol. Also, using blackberries, raspberries or blueberries we can keep the carb level as low as possible.
This dessert can be made a day ahead and kept refrigerated overnight. Before serving, let it sit in room temperature for 30 minutes.
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup Xylitol sweetener
- ½ vanilla bean, split, seeds scraped (or 1 teaspoon vanilla essence)
- 1 ½ cup almond flour plus 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup fresh blackberry (or mix with raspberry, or blueberry)
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Butter a 10” round gratin dish. In a large bowl, add the eggs, Xylitol sweetener and vanilla seeds. Whisk the mixture with a balloon whisk until the Xylitol sweetener is dissolved, about 5 minutes.
- Add the 1 ½ cup almond flour and salt, and whisk until just incorporated. Add the milk and 1 cup of heavy cream, whisk until it become light and very smooth, about 3 minutes. Pour into the prepared gratin dish.
- In a small bowl, toss to coat the berries with the remainder 1 tablespoon of almond flour. This will help to keep the berries floating on the top when baking. Gently arrange the berries on top of the egg mixture.
- Bake for about 50 to 60 minutes, or until the Clafoutis is set in the center. To check the Clafoutis, lightly shake the gratin dish. When the center is not wobbly, it is set. Remove the Clafoutis from the oven and let it cool completely in room temperature. The Clafoutis may raised during baking and set after cooling.
- To prepare whipped cream: whip the remainder 1 cup of heavy cream with a hand held electric whisk until soft peak form. Serve the whipped cream with the room temperature Clafoutis.
Per serving contain 9 g net carbs, 8 g protein and 21 g fat.
Share this with your friends!