This pork belly satay is delicious and simple to prepare. First I blanch the whole slab of skinless pork belly in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes. Remove the pork belly and let it cool. This will help to tenderise the meat. Do keep the stock for making soup.
Before slicing the meat, use a small sharp knife and poke the whole surface of the fat multiple times.
Slice the pork belly into 1/2 inches slice and than cut into 1/2 inches strips. Marinate the pork belly with coriander powder, cumin seed, turmeric powder, salt and pepper for at least 2 hours.
The fat itself is tasty, it didn’t need much seasoning to bring out the flavour! You may season anyway you like it I bet is good too.
After two hours, preheat the grill to medium heat. Skewer the pork belly strips starting from the lean part to the fat.
And is ready to grill! Grill the satay for about 6 minutes each side (depending on the grill).
The result: the fat was crispy outside and juicy inside. Eat it while is hot!
During the time while the meat is marinating, you can prepare a soup using the stock from blanching the pork belly. Simmer the soup base to reduce to 3/4 of the amount. This time I added Napa cabbage, 1 cup of real kelp noodle, chives, and one beaten egg drizzle into the boiling soup to make egg flower. You may season the soup with chicken bullion or with salt and pepper.
Another time I added shredded Napa cabbage and 2 soft boiled eggs that I’ve already have in the refrigerator. Seasoned with chicken bullion. a dash of sesame oil and sprinkled with chopped cilantro. You may use baby spinach or kale too. I bet is delicious too!
- 1.5 pound slab of pork belly
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1½ teaspoon cumin seed
- ½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 10 small size wooden skewers sticks
- Blanch the whole piece of fatty pork belly in a pot of boiling water for 5- 10 minutes.
- Pat dry and let it cool down. Before slicing the meat, use a small sharp knife and poke the whole surface of the fat multiple times.
- Slice the pork belly into ½ inches slice and than cut into ½ inches strips. Marinate the pork belly with coriander powder, cumin seed, turmeric powder, salt and pepper for at least 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, skewer the pork belly strips starting from the lean part to the fat. Pre-heat the grill to medium heat, and ready to grill.
Each satay stick contains 0.4 g total carbs, 0.4 g of net carbs, 6.4 g of protein and 37.5 g of fat.
Share this with your friends!