Thanks to a friend Scott Nakamura who shared this recipe with me on my Facebook group ‘Eat, Live and Love Low Carb’.
Scott asked me what can he substitute the bread crumbs in the original recipe. And I replied: ‘Pork rind.’
He made a batch of these low carb cauliflower patties with pork rind and posted the photo to share on Facebook. They sure looked good. Since I was supposed to bring an appetizer to a party the next day, I decided to make this.
The recipe that Scott shared suggested steaming the head of cauliflower for 10 minutes before chopping and mashing it. I decided to do it the way I normally do, which is to cut it into floret and than microwave it for 15 minutes. I find that this would prevent having too much moisture in the cauliflower. You may try both methods to find out which works for you better.
That afternoon when I was preparing the mixture, we received a phone call that my mother-in-law had passed away. I was distracted attending to the news and set the mixture in the refrigerator. Completely forgotten about it. 30 minutes before the time we were suppose to leave for the party, I realized I’ve ran out of time to heat the oven and bake the cauliflower patties.
In order not to be late for the party, I quickly pan seared the patties on a skillet with butter over the stove. It turns out to be a blacken cauliflower patties. And the flavor was wonderful. Our friends at the party love it and the plate was emptied within a few minutes.
I paired the cauliflower patties with a homemade spicy mayonnaise as a dipping sauce. These give it a touch of creamy and spicy flavor.
In this recipe, you may also add a tablespoon or two of additional ingredients like dice red pepper base on the same concept. I limit the amount of onion in order to keep the carb amount low. I’ve also mixed in chopped crispy bacon to raise the fat content. Anything with bacon tastes great anyway right?
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- ¼ cup red onion, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup crispy bacon, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup crispy pork rind, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Cut the head of cauliflower into floret and place in a microwavable bowl. Microwave for 15 minutes or until is soft. Or you may steam the head of cauliflower for 15 minutes. Chop the cauliflower coarsely and place it in a mixing bowl. Add all the ingredients, except the butter, into the bowl and mix well.
- To cook the patties over the stove; with a big skillet, melt half the amount of butter over medium heat. Using an ice-cream scoop, scoop each portions into the skillet leaving about 2 inches space around each patty.
- Sear the patties for 3 minutes or until the patties are firm before turning it over to sear the other side. Repeat the same and cook the patties in 2 batches. Alternatively, you may bake the patties in the 400F (200C) pre-heated oven for 20 minutes each side.
- To serve, drizzle the prepared spicy mayonnaise onto the cauliflower patties or serve as a dipping sauce by the side.
Each patty contains 1.5g total carb, 1g net carb, 6g protein and 10g fat.
Recipe for spicy mayonnaise go here.
Share this with your friends!